Sunday 3 September 2017

Week 19 in Kecskemét

Hi!

First of all, we got the transfer calls this morning. I will serve as branch president in Békéscsaba. My two companions are Elder Neumiller from Virginia and Elder Szuch from Idaho. Elder Neumiller has been in the mission for a year and came in Elders Harris's and Allred's group. Elder Szuch and I came together in the same group. I have only four transfers left in the eight months remaining in the mission, so I'm probably going to finish in Békéscsaba. Elder Allred will stay in Kecskemét, Elder Martin will be his companion.

Well, this new call was a big surprise for me. President Szabadkai called at around 8:20 a.m. when he normally starts his calls at around 7:00 a.m. for assistants, zone leaders, etc. and it's almost done by 8:00. Then the assistants call everyone else. So I was surprised to receive his call and I was even more surprised when he said that I was going to serve as a branch president. I did not get any hint before this transfer that something big like this would happen.

But I am very grateful for the opportunity to serve as branch president in Békéscsaba. It is good to serve the people there and I will work hard in this office to advance the work of the Lord. I'm going to learn a lot and develop in this calling and I'm getting excited about this great adventure.

We had a good adventure this week. We went to visit a media referral who lived about 50 km away in a village called Tápioszentmárton in Pest county. We would have gone by a bus, without any transfer, but they said the bus was late because of an accident, so we decided to go by train. This first train took us to Cegléd and an older gentleman spoke to us in the booth. He had met with the elders before in Germany. From Cegléd we took a second train towards Szolnok. In Szolnok we met a young man who was taking English classes in Békéscsaba. We had to take a third train that went east to Budapest and stopped at the Tápioszentmárton station which was 3 km away from the village, so we started walking. But soon a car slowed down and stopped. The driver said that she would take us. Katalin (I think that was her name), was an evangelical pastor in a neighboring village. She was kind and good. We finally found our media referral but he was not too serious or stable, so we just gave him all the brochures and answered his questions, then we took a bus and returned to Kecskemét. At the bus station, someone asked us for a copy of the Book of Mormon. So on that day everyone called us!

This week we also met with church members and talked about how to share the gospel through technology. One sister immediately pressed the share button in an article after we showed her how to do it and that was quite funny. We visited Uncle Sanyi, who is a 92-year-old member. We worked on his garden as we sprayed and cleared his yard.

I wish you all an great week!

Elder Gonzalez
















No comments:

Post a Comment