Tuesday 5 July 2016

Captain Gonzalez reports!

Hey!

I am starting to get used to being a missionary in Pécs and it is has been going well. On Monday we tracted in the rain, so we focused on apartment buildings. The older people were really grumpy because 8 o’clock in the evening was already too late for them, haha. On Tuesday we taught 3 lessons! That doesn’t seem like too much in some other missions, but here in Hungary it is great. Just ask Miguel! My brother has been of a great help in getting appointments for us and meeting people here. One of the people we taught was a member called Éva whom Miguel asked us to visit. Csaba, another member of the branch, came to teach with us. We also met with an investigator called Marcsi. When I phoned her, I said to her that I’m Miguel’s brother and right away she wanted to meet with us! The third person was another investigator called László who had many questions on things like polygamy and raising from the dead but we read together from 2 Nephi 31 and ended up giving him a baptismal date of August 6. It may get pushed to a later day, but that’s the goal. :)

Wednesday was greenie training in Budapest, and it was good to meet with the other new missionaries who came in my group from the MTC. On Thursday we taught anoher lesson to János and at the end we talked about Bud Spencer and Terrence Hill. (Bud Spencer passed away recently.) We also talked about a lot of old TV series, movies, and books that I have watched and read in Hungarian with my family in Toronto. He was very happy about it. Thanks, mom, for the knowledge of Hungarian culture that you gave me!  Then we taught English class. I really enjoy teaching English and at times it’s a lot of fun. During streeting Elder Fitzgerald borrowed some teen's skateboard and I took a sick picture of him on it.

Friday was Canada Day, so I proudly wore my Canada pin and Canada t-shirt during district meeting and in the apartment. I cooked chicken with potato and we also ate ice cream. During tracting a cranky old lady threatened to call the cops on us, so we just wished her a nice day and went our way. At night there was a historical parade with people dressed as Romans, Turks, Austrians, knights, priests, and much more. It was really cool. There are a lot of festivals and cultural events going on in Pécs right now.

We had a lunch appointment with a member on Saturday and while tracting, we met a Jewish lady who talked about how Mormons helped her with genealogy. It's really hot here, so being in the shade and drinking lot of water is essential. We had a sport day and played basketball and soccer with the youth and some local kids which was way fun. I scored the first goal! :) Sunday was fast and testimony meeting and then on Monday we went up to the TV tower during our p-day. It was really high up and the view was super nice. There was a restaurant there and I ate a dessert called “somlói galuska” (Hungarian triffle) which was delicious.

That was my week and I wish you all a Happy Canada Day and a Happy 4th of July!

-Felipe

P.S. Miguel is in the area book here, so we write Gonzalez II when it refers to me lol.

With Elder Ady in the mission office in Budapest. He was born in Alberta but raised in Utah. 
 Elder Fitzgerald on a borrowed skateboard
Celebrating Canada Day
Train station
Parade in Pécs
I cooked this.
TV tower in Pécs







With Elders Martineau and Lawrence


View from the TV tower


Somlói galuska

No comments:

Post a Comment