Tuesday 21 June 2016

Greetings from Pécs

A lot of things happened in the last week:
 
Friday: This was my last trip to the temple. Since Hungary does not have a temple, it won't be until 2018 when I will have the chance to go again.

Saturday: My last day of classes at the MTC.


Sunday: Last day
at the MTCAt sacrament meeting I gave a talk on faith and the atonement, my last formal talk at church in English for the next two years. I also taught the priesthood class.

Monday: I woke up at 4:00 a.m. and got on the bus at 5:00. My companion and my MTC friends came to say goodbye. Then we took a train and a bus to the Salt Lake City airport.
From there we flew to Minneapolis, then to Amsterdam, and finally to Budapest. Before the flights, I was able to call home which was great. On the flight to Amsterdam all of us missionaries sat together and the time passed quickly. I did not sleep much but I did not get sick either. :)

Tuesday: We arrived in Budapest. We met with our mission president, President Szabadkai and his wife at the airport and then we went to the mission office. I got to meet a ton of missionaries Miguel served with. President Szabadkai said that Miguel was the most popular missionary in Hungary. At the office I met with elders Parkinson, Krueger, Dalton, and Olsen. (The first two were Miguel's companions during his mission.) Elder Parkinson and I went streeting and gave out 3 copies of the Book of Mormon. The Szabadkais invited us to eat fruit soup with them. It was delicious. Then we went and saw the the Fisherman's Bastion (Halászbásztya), Matthias Church (Mátyás Templom), the parliament building, the Chain Bridge, etc. In the evening we slept in a nice hotel and we were able to sleep until nine o'clock. :)

Wednesday: I got my trainer, Elder Fitzgerald, who is from Utah and a great guy. Then headed for our new area: the city of Pécs. I was very happy. I met many other elders who know Miguel, like elders Szerdi and Priest (both trained by Miguel), and Stanley. We took the subway, then we went to the Keleti train station, and from there we traveled by train and bus. It was a long trip, but Pécs is such a beautiful city. (Miguel served there from April to June of last year.) The other missionaries serving in Pécs are elders Lawrence and Martineau and sisters Peterson and Hawker. Upon arrival we purchased groceries and I bought a watermelon. It was strange to sleep on Miguel's old bed!

Thursday: It was my birthday!
Elder Fitzgerald made me an omelette for breakfast. Then we went streeting and tracting. We taught an English class and Elder Lawrence bought me an ice cream and a member took us around Pécs in a small tourist train. It was a great birthday. For dinner, we ate hotdogs. Back in our apartment I opened the gifts and card. Thanks a lot!

Friday: We were invited to the branch council meeting and
got to meet a lot of members, many of whom know Miguel.

Saturday:
After a long day of lookups, we saw the end of the Hungary-Iceland game as we were passing by the main city square. It was so cool to be part of the crowd when Hungary scored that equalizing goal!
 
Sunday:
In church I introduced myself and bore my testimony. We also taught a less active woman. 
I wish you a Happy Father's Day, Dad!

Monday: Today was our P-day and
we walked around the city a bit with our district and ate gyros for lunch.

I have read all your emails and I'm glad that everyone is happy!

With lots of love,Felipe

At the Provo Temple for the last time
With the Hungarian missionaries

With my district at the MTC
With my district at the Provo Temple
With the MTC president and his wife
With the Canadians
With Elder Hernandez from London, Ontario
Amsterdam airport
In Amsterdam
President and Sister Szabadkai welcomed us at the airport in Budapest
With the office elders: Krueger, Olsen, and Dalton
At Matthias Church in Budapest
The Danube and the parliament building in the background
With the APs: Elders Parkinson and Paul
Recently arrived elders

With President and Sister Szabadkai
At the Fisherman's Bastion
Fisherman's Bastion: Statue of King Stephen
With my trainer, Elder Fitzgerald and Elder Evans who served with Miguel in Nyíregyháza
Elder Szerdi. Miguel trained him in Gyôr.
With Elder Stanley
With Elder Fitzgerald
At the Keleti train station ready to board a train for Pécs
Pécs: Roman Catholic cathedral

Pécs: National Theatre
Pécs: City hall

Pécs: Main square
Pécs: Jewish synagogue
Buying groceries
The omelette Elder Fitzgerald made
Elders "born into Hungary" whose first apartment is the one I occupy now.
Adding my flag

On the small tourist train
Taking the train ride in the city
Elder Lawrence bought me the ice cream as a birthday present
My first dinner in Pécs
Healthy breakfast
Pécs: Main square
Gyros
... and Hungarian palacsintas (crèpes)
Pécs: Ruins of the old city wall
At the town square while the Hungary-Iceland game was taking place
Roman Catholic cathedral
Barbakán "Tower"


No comments:

Post a Comment